We are lucky enough to live in one of the most beautiful places in the world, so wouldn’t it be nice if we were all able to do our part to make sure it always stays that way? Now think about how nice it would be if we could actually save money at the same time… it would be amazing.
Today we’re going to explore how you can make a difference to the environment and make a positive difference to your bank account at the same time.
If you take the extra effort to save energy around your home you’ll be able to save some serious money. It’s not all about sitting in the dark, which technically would work – it’s just not really feasible. It’s about making small changes that make a larger impact.
- Instead of washing your clothes in hot water, try using cold water – you’ll be saving a huge amount of energy and often get the same results.
- Dry your clothes outside, rather than in the dryer. Sure this is only when weather permits but cutting out your dryer can save you a lot of money on your electricity bill.
- Switch standard light bulbs over to Compact Fluorescent Bulbs from Incandescent and you will definitely see a difference.
- Unplug when you can! If you’re leaving the house for the day, go ahead and unplug your television or any other item that uses a lot of electricity. It won’t make a difference to your comfort level at home; you just may need a little extra time in the mornings.
It’s important to still enjoy the luxuries in your life, including your dream car, but there are ways of minimising your costs while still keeping those luxuries.
- Try carpooling. You don’t need to do it every day, but if you carpool once or twice a week with a neighbour you’ll save your dream car from over-use, keeping it in pristine condition for longer. You and your carpool buddies will also save money on fuel and be making a difference to the environment. Sounds like a win-win-win to us!
- Get some exercise. Sure it’s nice to drive to work in the morning; coffee cup in hand, good tunes on the radio and fresh air streaming through the windows, but it’s also nice to get some exercise. Try riding your bicycle to work once or twice a week and save the car for the other days. You’ll stay in shape, keep green and save money.
Make Little Changes!
These simple, little changes can make a huge difference at the end of the day. Unlike the other suggestions above, you may not have ever thought of these before.
- Fix leaks in the house. That drippy tap in the kitchen you’ve been ignoring for months is costing you money. Spend a Sunday morning and fix all the leaks and your water bill will start to decrease. That’s a Sunday well spent!
- Borrow instead of buy. This goes for anything from power tools to books. Ask your neighbour to borrow their tools rather than going out and buying your own if you don’t plan on using it frequently. Try to visit a library instead of a bookstore. Remember, borrowing is free and it doesn’t hurt to ask!
- Start a vegetable garden! Plant life is essential to our environment and the bonus is, with a vegetable garden eventually you won’t have to purchase veggies because you’ll be able to pick them fresh out of your backyard!
- Make your own green cleaning products! Most cleaning products are comprised from items found within your home! A little baking powder, vinegar or lemon juice and you can stop wasting your money on all of those brand name cleaners you frequently use.
Remember it’s important to start small and not overwhelm yourself. By making these minor differences to your routine you’ll be able to live the lifestyle you’ve always dreamed of and not worry about the negative environmental impact.
Want to get to that dream lifestyle a little quicker? Contact us today to find out how a personal loan may be right for you.